Licensed Massage Therapy
What is Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is one of the oldest forms of holistic healing in the world. Massage therapy is a type of therapy that deals with the manual manipulation of the soft tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments) of the body. Massage therapy is used as a holistic approach to healthcare in the modern world and is usually used in conjunction with other forms of healing; chiropractic, physical therapy, etc.
Forms of Massage Therapy
There are many different types of massage therapy that are available to the patients of Schilsky Chiropractic:
- Swedish Massage: Gentle and relaxing form of massage therapy. Typically used for relaxation. The licensed massage therapist will use long strokes, kneading, or circular motions to help relax the tight musculature and promote relaxation.
- Aromatherapy Massage: This technique involves normal (Swedish) massage therapy techniques with the addition of therapeutic oils to address and relieve pain, increase relaxation, decrease stress, etc.
- Hot Stone Massage: This form of massage therapy uses warm, smooth stones to relax muscle tension. The stones are strategically placed along the body to correspond with certain pressure points or painful knots.
- Deep Tissue Massage: Deeper musculature, soft tissue, or connective tissue will benefit from deep tissue massage. This massage technique is used for muscular strains, postural abnormalities, and tight/painful muscles.
- Shiatsu: This type of massage therapy utilized pressure points that mimic acupuncture. In this case, the masseuse uses finger pressure on specific points to relieve pain and increase energy.
- Thai Massage: This is very similar to Shiatsu. Unlike Shiatsu, this massage technique involves compression and stretching of muscles and connective tissue.
- Reflexology: Massage technique that focuses on the pressure points of the feet that correspond to other portions of the body.
- Sports Massage: Utilized in athletics to relieve sore or tight musculature. It also helps prevent injuries and can be used along with rehabilitation to relieve muscular strains.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
It is no wonder that massage therapy has been an incredibly popular holistic treatment for thousands of years. There is scientific evidence and many research articles that support the benefits of massage therapy. Massage therapy has been found to be incredibly relaxing and this will intern lessen anxiety and tension related headaches. Stress levels have also been shown to decrease after massage therapy. The relaxing nature of massage has also been linked to decreasing the symptoms of insomnia. Also, massage therapy has been shown to help decrease symptoms related to injuries and disorders; scoliosis, fibromyalgia, nerve pain, radiculopathy, and muscular strains.